Monday 13 April 2020

Three Tips to Manage Constant Change





Let’s face it. It’s a stressful time for everyone right now. As someone who likes to plan, I feel particularly assaulted. I just get used to a new norm, and another change occurs immediately. For example, I went through three changes within 12 hours for my daughter’s school; first it was school as usual, then closed for one day, then closed for 2 weeks and finally closed for 4 weeks. Talk about whiplash! The same happened with my parent’s retirement center; within hours, I was able to visit them, then couldn’t visit them and finally I could visit them if dropping off essential supplies. And let’s not even talk about work schedules, client meetings and workplace priorities changing hourly.

So how does a planner cope with this constant barrage of changes? I’ll admit that I didn’t handle it well at first. I’m a stress eater and was eating peanut butter straight out of the jar; last Friday I had sweet potato fries, toast and ice cream for dinner! I also sat on the couch instead of working out. And I constantly checked my phone, hoping to connect with people, yet feeling oddly isolated.

As I say in the first line of my first book, “If you’re not changing, you’re dying.” I truly believe that. Yet, believing it and living it are two different things. So if you’re feeling like me, here are three tips that might help you navigate the constant change that is our new norm.

Three Tips to Manage Constant Change

1. Plan Your Day, Not Your Week

I love to plan weeks ahead of time; I know every aspect of our family schedule for the next month. Just ask me and I’ll tell you when the next orthodontist appointment is; if I don’t know immediately, I can find the answer within a minute on my phone. Planning gives me a sense of false control, a way to make sense of the chaos of our family life.

Yet, with so many changes nowadays, it’s not possible to plan a month out, let alone a week. So I’ve adapted and now just plan one day at a time. I can still write a plan and cross off tasks, which gives me satisfaction without the anxiety of tomorrow’s changes. I often say “One day at a time” to my coaching clients, meaning that they will master a new skill or behavior by practicing one day at a time. It’s time I brought that lesson home.

Be sure to plan your work environment too. If you have to go to work in times of stress and uncertainty, be mindful and gentle with yourself. If a cup of tea, soothing music or aromatherapy helps relieve stress, bring supplies to create a safe environment for yourself. Remember the airplane oxygen mask rule: take care of yourself first so you can help others.

2. Move Your Body

Regardless if I can leave the house or not, or if our gym is closed, I can still move my body to keep the energy flowing. I finally dragged myself off the couch yesterday and started to work out. I’ll admit it was not my best workout since I was watching a movie while on the elliptical; however, I started to feel better. My next workout was better, realizing that moving my body moved my energy.
It’s also important to move your breathing in times of stress. Try the 4-7-8 breathing tip, which means you inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 7 seconds and exhale for 8 seconds. This type of breathing forces your mind to focus on the breath, rather than the millions of worries in your head. If done regularly, it can help decrease your stress.

3. Help Others

No matter how bad you think you have it right now, others have it worse. Food insecure families are challenged with school closures, medical professionals are working 24/7 and hourly employees are cash strapped without their regular work shifts. So help others to help yourself. Don’t know how? Donate food to your local food pantry, volunteer to drop off supplies to those in need or send a thank you note to your medical professional. These small steps will help you and those in your community get through this difficult time together.

Speaking of which, check in with your loved ones regularly right now. I come from a huge family. I’m the youngest of 8 kids; there are 55 of us at family reunions, including spouses, grandkids and great grandkids. My siblings and I agreed to talk at 7pm every Sunday night for the next few weeks, to check in on each other. I groan because I’d rather tune out and isolate on the couch. Yet, I always feel better when the call ends. So text, call or email someone you love today. It’ll help everyone deal with constant change.

I’d love to hear how you are coping in these stressful times. What is working for you and what is not?

Let’s share experiences. Leave a comment below, send me an email, or find me on Twitter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment